Monday, November 16, 2009

Part 3: I'm In Heaven

or

And I Can Hardly Speak--Ya, Right




Pictured above: Fighting companions Stoker Wolff and Dork. First published in Dork of the Month Club--I was the centrefold.

(Don't laugh, I won 1st prize for that outfit--a free one week membership for one and a half people to TesNexus--so I included my half-sister--(now you can laugh.) Second prize was one month and third prize was one year. By-the-way, I hate that costume with a passion--makes me look like a slimed lime--but it's got good magical protection--especially against lemons.


(Continuing with what I wrote on the TesNexus forum...)

I am not a modder and I am not up on Bethesda's instructions for use of modding so I will stand corrected, but, here's how I see it: Simplified, you may not claim any part of the game as your own or make any money off of your mod (I read it somewhere.)

These mods are supposed to be for the community (and FREE, remember--they're FREE) and as long as the 'bundle' players are not claiming it as their own work or making money with it by putting it in a bundle (and that's okay with Bethesda as stated) then who are the modders to say otherwise.

Further, each mod comes with a Readme (or should) that states who the author is--why should someone making a 'bundle' (if it were agreed upon by the community) have to contact and list all the 'makers' on the webpage of any mod downloading website? (Phone book, anyone?) This is understandable if you want to use/change someone else's hard work or parts of it where you are making your own mod.


But should someone who's just 'bundling' them have to jump through all these hoops?


It seems that more and more some mod authors are beginning to believe their own press: "I am God your creator and you may only use my mod if it's the second Tuesday of the month and you kiss my ring while doing so."

'Disrespectful' they accused me of being.


Just who is being disrespectful--the players who appreciate all the work the modders do, who are thrilled with each new mod and are only out to enjoy themselves or some of the modders (and sites) who show by their excessive rules that they don't appreciate the players and are only out for...(you fill in the blank.)


Join me next time, on Thursday, for Part 4:

Where There's Smoke, There's Fire
or
I'm Just Getting Warmed Up

0 comments:

Post a Comment